Espy Lumber Company has been providing quality building materials to the Lowcountry since 1958. This is the year Wesley Espy founded the company and began doing business on Hilton Head after the first bridge was built linking the island to the mainland. Initially, its primary business was to furnish concrete to the emerging resort developers.
During the 1960's, as Hilton Head's population grew from 900 to 2,500, the business was broadened to include lumber and building materials. As a result, the company outgrew its original location on what is today Pope Avenue.
In the 70's, Espy sold the concrete operation and continued to expand the lumber and building materials business.
In 1979 Espy was acquired by Rodman A. McLeod and H. Ross Arnold, III from the Wesley Espy Estate. During the next 34 years (until his passing in 2013) Rod guided Espy into becoming a leader of building supplies in the Lowcountry. Rod instilled into each and every employee the importance of honesty, integrity and hard work.
In 1984, Espy developed and secured the necessary approvals for a master plan for the Arrow Road site and began operating from the entire site, continuing to expand the business in lumber and building materials.
In 1988 plans were initiated to renovate Espy’s Hilton Head location. The renovation was completed for the Arrow Road location and opened for business in April, 1990. The Hilton Head location continues to operate from this site today and is the only full line building material company on the Island.
In January 1998, a 12-acre site was acquired in the Okatie/Cherry Point area at the intersection of SC Highways 141 and 170. Plans were begun for a second location to serve the expanding construction activity in the Low Country and surrounding areas. Ground was broken in May 2000 and the yard opened for business in January 2001.
Today, Espy Lumber is still the only full line building supply on Hilton Head Island.